Sep 27, 2023  
2012-2013 Catalog 
2012-2013 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Schedule of Fees

Schedule of Fees 2012-13

The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fee, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun. All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by The Board of Trustees.

The following reflects systemwide fees for both semester and quarter campuses that were approved for the 2012-13 academic year by the Board of Trustees at their November 2011 meeting. These rates are subject to change.

All Students

Application Fee (nonrefundable), payable by check or money order at time application is made: $55

2012-13 Basic Tuition Fees

All Campuses effective January 2012

Units Per Semester Per Quarter
Undergraduate Tuition Fee    
6.1 or more $2,985 $1,990
0.0 to 6.0 $1,731 $1,154
Credential Program Tuition Fee    
6.1 or more $3,465 $2,310
0.0 to 6.0 $2,010 $1,340
Graduate/Post-Baccalaureate Tuition Fee    
6.1 or more $3,678 $2,452
0.0 to 6.0 $2,133 $1,422
Doctoral Programs    
All students $5,559 $3,706

2012-13 Doctorate Tuition Fee*

Units Per Semester Per Quarter Per Academic Year
Education $5,559 $3,706 $3,706
Nursing Practice $7,170    
Physical Therapy $8,074    

* Applicable term fees apply for campuses with special terms, as determined by the campus. Total College Year fees cannot exceed the Academic Year plus Summer Term fees.

2012-13 Graduate Business Professional Fee, effective January 2012

Units Semester Quarter
Charge Per Unit $278 $185

The Graduate Business Professional Fee is paid on a per unit basis in addition to basic tuition fees and campus fees for the following graduate business programs:

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.)
Master of Science (M.S.) programs in Accountancy
Master of Science (M.S.) programs in Business Administration
Master of Science (M.S.) programs in Health Care Management
Master of Science (M.S.) programs in Business and Technology
Master of Science (M.S.) programs in Information Systems
Master of Science (M.S.) programs in Taxation

Nonresident Students (U.S. and Foreign)

Nonresident Tuition (in addition to basic tuition fees and other systemwide fees charged all students) for all campuses:

Units Semester Quarter
Charge Per Unit $372 $248

The total nonresident tuition paid per term will be determined by the number of units taken.

Mandatory systemwide fees are waived for those individuals who qualify for such exemption under the provisions of the California Education Code (see section on fee waivers).

Students are charged campus fees in addition to tuition fees and other systemwide fees. Information on campus fees can be found by contacting the individual campus(es).

Additional CI Fees Per Semester

Associated Student Fee $62.00  
Health Facilities Fee $3.00  
Instructionally Related Activities $50.00  
Materials, Services & Facilities Fee $35.00  
Recreation & Athletics Fee $50.00  
Student Body Center Fee $162.00  
Student Health Services Fee $60.00  

Other CI Fees and Charges

Application Fee $55.00  
Breakage Card Fees* $25.00  
Campus ID Card $15.00  
Change of Graduation Date $15.00  
Check Return Fee $25.00  
Credit Card Transaction Dishonored Fee $25.00  
Diploma Fee $45.00  
Duplicate Diploma Fee $15.00  
Freshman Orientation Fee $140.00  
General Student Parking Permit $145.00  
Housing Installment Plan Fee $33.00  
Intent to Enroll Deposit $100.00  
Lab Fees $15.00 - $75.00  
Late Payment Fee $25.00  
Late Registration Processing Fee $25.00  
Library Fee (varies)  
Registration Installment Plan Fee $33.00  
Replacement Campus ID Card $15.00  
Parking Permit Replacement Fee $10.00  
Student Housing Parking Permit $135.00  
Transfer Orientation Fee $35.00  
Vista Bus Shuttle Card $25.00  

(* Refundable)

Dolphin Card

All new CI students must purchase a campus photo ID card. To obtain your photo ID, you must bring $15 and additional photo identification (e.g. valid California Driver’s License, a DMV ID or a passport) to the Student Business Services office. There is a $15 replacement fee for a new card. The card is required:

  • For all transactions at Admissions and Records
  • For all transactions at Student Business Services
  • For all transactions with Transportation & Parking Services
  • To obtain campus services from the Library
  • For the Student Health & Counseling Center
  • For the Student Union
  • For the Credential office

Payment Options


Credit Cards - (MasterCard, Discover, American Express and Diner’s Club) may be used for payment of student fees online only. A merchant imposed convenience fee is applied to all credit transactions.

E-checks - are accepted online with no additional cost.

In Person

Only cash, personal checks or money order are accepted at the Student Business Services office.

Refund of Mandatory Fees, Including Nonresident Tuition

Regulations governing the refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, for students enrolling at the California State University are included in Section 41802 of Title 5, California Code of Regulations. For purposes of the refund policy, mandatory fees are defined as those systemwide and campus fees that are required to be paid in order to enroll in state-supported academic programs at the California State University. Refunds of fees and tuition charges for self-support, special session, and extended education programs or courses at the California State University are governed by a separate policy established by the University, available at (Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Division 5, Chapter 1, Subchapter 5, Articles 3 and 4, Sections 41802, 41802.1, and 41913) and that the Board of Trustees adopted a resolution based upon the Title V regulation, the CO has issued various elated Executive Orders as well as an AA coded memo regarding fee refunds.

In order to receive a full refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, a student must cancel registration or drop all courses prior to the first day of instruction for the term. Information on procedures and deadlines for canceling registration and dropping classes is available in the Schedule of Classes.

For state-supported semesters, quarters, and non-standard terms or courses of four (4) weeks or more, a student who withdraws during the term in accordance with the University’s established procedures will receive a refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, based on the portion of the term during which the student was enrolled. No student withdrawing after the 60 percent point in the term will be entitled to a refund of any mandatory fees or nonresident tuition.

For state-supported non-standard terms or courses of less than four (4) weeks, no refunds of mandatory fees and nonresident tuition will be made unless a student cancels registration or drops all classes prior to the first day in accordance with the University’s established procedures and deadlines.

Students will also receive a refund of mandatory fees, including nonresident tuition, under the following circumstances:

  • The fees were assessed or collected in error;
  • The course for which the fees were assessed or collected was cancelled by the University;
  • The University makes a delayed decision that the student was not eligible to enroll in the term for which mandatory fees were assessed and collected and the delayed decision was not due to incomplete or inaccurate information provided by the student; or
  • The student was activated for compulsory military service.

Students who are not entitled to a refund as described above may petition the University for a refund demonstrating exceptional circumstances and the chief financial officer of the University or designee may authorize a refund if he or she determines that the fees and tuition were not earned by the University.

Information concerning any aspect of the refund of fees may be obtained from the Student Business Services office at One University Drive, Camarillo, CA. 93012 or by calling (805) 437-8810.

Fees and Debts Owed to the Institution

Should a student or former student fail to pay a fee or a debt owed to the institution, the institution may “withhold permission to register, to use facilities for which a fee is authorized to be charged, to receive services, materials, food or merchandise or any combination of the above from any person owing a debt” until the debt is paid (see Title 5, California Code of Regulations, Sections 42380 and 42381).

Prospective students who register for courses offered by the University are obligated for the payment of fees associated with registration for those courses. Failure to cancel registration in any course for an academic term prior to the first day of the academic term gives rise to an obligation to pay student fees including any tuition for the reservation of space in the course.

The institution may withhold permission to register or to receive official transcripts of grades or other services offered by the institution from anyone owing fees or another debt to the institution. The institution may also report the debt to a credit bureau, offset the amount due against any future state tax refunds due the student, refer the debt to an outside collection agency and/or charge the student actual and reasonable collection costs, including reasonable attorney fees if litigation is necessary, in collecting any amount not paid when due.

If a person believes he or she does not owe all or part of an asserted unpaid obligation, that person may contact the Student Business Services office at (805) 437-8810. The Student Business Services office will review all pertinent information provided by the person and available to the campus and will advise the person of its conclusions.

Fee Waivers

The California Education Code includes provisions for the waiver of mandatory systemwide fees as follows:

Section 66025.3 – Qualifying children, spouses/registered domestic partners, or unmarried surviving spouses/registered domestic partners of a war period veteran of the U.S. military who is totally service-connected disabled or who died as a result of service-related causes; children of any veteran of the U.S. military who has a service-connected disability, was killed in action, or died of a service-connected disability and meets specified income provisions; any dependents or surviving spouse/registered domestic partner who has not remarried of a member of the California National Guard who in the line of duty and in active service of the state was killed or became permanently disabled or died of a disability as a result of an event while in active service of the state; and undergraduate students who are the recipient of or the child of a recipient of a Congressional Medal of Honor and meet certain age and income restrictions;

Section 68120 – Qualifying children and surviving spouses/registered domestic partners of deceased public law enforcement or fire suppression employees who were California residents and who were killed in the course of active law enforcement or fire suppression duties (referred to as Alan Pattee Scholarships); and

Section 68121 – Qualifying students enrolled in an undergraduate program who are the surviving dependent of any individual killed in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City, the Pentagon building in Washington, D.C., or the crash of United Airlines Flight 93 in southwestern Pennsylvania, if the student meets the financial need requirements set forth in Section 69432.7 for the Cal Grant A Program and either the surviving dependent or the individual killed in the attacks was a resident of California on September 11, 2001. Students who may qualify for these benefits should contact the Admissions/Registrar’s Office for further information and/or an eligibility determination.

Section 38130.5 – Qualifying non-resident students exempt from paying nonresident tuition, such as, nonresident student with: high school attendance in California for three or more years; graduation from a California high school or attainment of equivalent; registration as a entering student at, or current enrollment at, and accredited institution of higher education in California not earlier than the fall semester or quarter of the 2001-02 academic year; in the case of a person without lawful immigration status, the filing of a affidavid with the institution of higher education stating that the student has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

Determination of Residence for Nonresident Tuition Purposes

University requirements for establishing residency for tuition purposes are independent from those of other types of residency, such as for tax purposes, or other state or institutional residency. These regulations were promulgated not to determine whether a student is a resident or nonresident of California, but rather to determine whether a student should pay tuition on an in-state or out-of-state basis. A resident for tuition purposes is someone who meets the requirements set forth in the Uniform Student Residency Requirements. These laws governing residency for tuition purposes at the California State University (CSU) are California Education Code sections 68000-68090, 68120-68134, and 89705-89707.5, and California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Subchapter 5, Article 4, sections 41900-41916. This material can be viewed on the Internet by accessing the CSU’s website at

Each campus Admissions Office is responsible for determining the residency status of all new and returning students based on the Application for Admission, Residency Questionnaire, Reclassification Request Form, and, as necessary, other evidence furnished by the student. A student who fails to submit adequate information to establish eligibility for resident classification will be classified as a nonresident.

Generally, establishing California residency for tuition purposes requires a combination of physical presence and intent to remain indefinitely. An adult who, at least one full year prior to the residence determination date for the term in which enrollment is contemplated, can demonstrate both physical presence in the state combined with evidence of intent to remain in California indefinitely may establish California residency for tuition purposes. A minor normally derives residency from the parent(s) they reside with or most recently resided with.

Evidence demonstrating intent may vary from case to case but will include, and is not limited to, the absence of residential ties to any other state, California voter registration and voting in California elections, maintaining California vehicle registration and driver’s license, maintaining active California bank accounts, filing California income tax returns and listing a California address on federal tax returns, owning residential property or occupying or renting an apartment where permanent belongings are kept, maintaining active memberships in California professional or social organizations, and maintaining a permanent military address and home of record in California.

Non-resident students seeking reclassification are required to complete a supplemental questionnaire that includes questions concerning their financial dependence on parents or others who do not meet University requirements for classification as residents for tuition purposes. Financial independence is required, along with physical presence and intent, to be eligible for reclassification.

Non-citizens establish residency in the same manner as citizens, unless precluded by the Immigration and Nationality Act from establishing domicile in the United States.

Exceptions to the general residency requirements are contained in California Education Code sections 68070-68084 and California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Subchapter 5, Article 4, sections 41906-41906.5, and include, but are not limited to, members of the military and their dependents, certain credentialed employees of school districts and most students who have attended three years of high school in California and graduated or attained the equivalent. Whether an exception applies to a particular student cannot be determined before the submission of an application for admission and, as necessary, additional supporting documentation. Because neither campus nor Chancellor’s Office staff may give advice on the application of these laws, applicants are strongly urged to review the material for themselves and consult with a legal advisor.

Residency determination dates are set each term. They are:

Quarter Term Campuses Semester Term Campuses
Fall September 20
Winter January 5
Spring April 1
Summer July 1
Fall September 20
Spring January 25
Summer June 1

CalState TEACH operates on a trimester system. The residency determination dates for the CalState TEACH are as

Fall September 20
Spring January 5
Summer June 1

Students classified as non-residents may appeal a final campus decision within 120 days of notification by the campus. A campus residence classification appeal must be in writing and submitted to:

The California State University
Office of General Counsel
401 Golden Shore, 4th Floor
Long Beach, CA 90802-4210

The Office of General Counsel can either decide the appeal or send the matter back to the campus for further review. Students incorrectly classified as residents or incorrectly granted an exception from nonresident tuition are subject to reclassification as nonresidents and payment of nonresident tuition in arrears. If incorrect classification results from false or concealed facts, the student is also subject to discipline pursuant to Section 41301 of Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations.

Resident students who become nonresidents or who no longer meet the criteria for an exception must immediately notify the Admissions Office. Changes may have been made in the rate of nonresident tuition and in the statutes and regulations governing residency for tuition purposes in California between the time this information is published and the relevant residency determination date. Students are urged to review the statutes and regulations stated above.

Average Support Cost Per Full-Time Equivalent Student and Sources of Funds

The total support cost per full-time equivalent student (FTES) includes the expenditures for current operations, including payments made to students in the form of financial aid, and all fully reimbursed programs contained in state appropriations. The average support cost is determined by dividing the total cost by the number of FTES. The total CSU 2011-12 budget amounts were $2,141,273,000 from state General Fund (GF) appropriations (not including capital outlay funding) and before minus 38.5 million CalPERS retirement adjustment $1,530,946,000 from tuition fee revenue net of financial aid (forgone revenue), and $340,440,000 from other fee revenues for a total of $4,012,659,000. The number of projected 2010-11 FTES is 331,716 resident and 13,572 non-resident students. The GF appropriation is applicable to resident students only whereas fee revenues are collected from resident and non-resident students. FTES is determined by dividing the total academic student load by 15 units per term (the figure used here to define a full-time student’s academic load).

The 2011-12 average support cost per FTES based on GF appropriation and net tuition fee revenue only is $10,889 and when including all sources as indicated below is $11,875. Of this amount, the average net tuition fee revenue and other income per FTES is $5,420, which includes all fee revenue in the CSU Operating Fund (e.g. tuition fees, application fees, and other campus mandatory fees).

2010/11 Amount Average Cost per FTE Student %
Total Support Cost $4,012,659,000 $11,875 100%
  • State Appropriation1
2,141,273,000 6,455 55%
  • Net Basic Tuition Fee Revenue2
1,530,946,000 4,434 37%
  • Other Fees Revenue2
340,440,000 986 8%

1Represents state GF appropriation in the Budget Act of 2011-12; GF is divisible by resident students only (331,317 FTES).

2Represents CSU Operating Fund, Tuition Fee and other fees revenue amounts (net of foregone revenue) submitted in campus 2011-12 final budgets. Revenues are divisible by resident and nonresident students (345,288 FTES).

The average CSU 2011-12 academic year, resident, undergraduate student basic tuition fee and other mandatory fees required to apply to, enroll in, or attend the University is $6,519 ($5,472 tuition fee plus $1,047 average campus-based fees) . However, the costs paid by individual students will vary depending on campus, program, and whether a student is part-time, full-time, resident, or nonresident.

Procedure for the Establishment or Abolishment of Campus-Based Mandatory Fees

The law governing the California State University provides that fees defined as mandatory, such as a student body association fee and a student body center fee, may be established. A student body association fee must be established upon a favorable vote of two-thirds of the students voting in an election held for this purpose (Education Code, Section 89300). The campus President may adjust the student body association fee only after the fee adjustment has been approved by a majority of the students voting in a referendum established for that purpose. The required fee shall be subject to referendum at any time upon the presentation of a petition to the campus President containing the signatures of 10 percent of the regularly enrolled students at the University. Student body association fees support a variety of cultural and recreational programs, childcare centers, and special student support programs. A student body center fee may be established only after a fee referendum is held which approves by a two-thirds favorable vote the establishment of the fee (Education Code, Section 89304). Once bonds are issued, authority to set and adjust student body center fees is governed by provisions of the State University Revenue Bond Act of 1947, including, but not limited to, Education Code sections 90012, 90027, and 90068.

The process to establish and adjust other campus-based mandatory fees requires consideration by the campus fee advisory committee and a student referendum. The campus President may use alternate consultation mechanisms if he/ she determines that a referendum is not the best mechanism to achieve appropriate and meaningful consultation. Results of the referendum and the fee committee review are advisory to the campus President. The President may adjust campus-based mandatory fees, but must request the Chancellor establish a new mandatory fee. The President shall provide to the fee advisory committee a report of all campus-based mandatory fees. The campus shall report annually to the Chancellor a complete inventory of all campus based-mandatory fees.

For more information or questions, please contact the Budget Office in the CSU Chancellor’s Office at (562) 951-4560.