Aug 13, 2022
Note: It is assumed that at least one set of the Foundation Courses listed below has been completed in a business or science undergraduate degree program.
The Master of Science in Biotechnology & Master of Business Administration is a dual professional degree program designed to meet the needs of biotechnology industry and related public and private agencies and organizations. The program combines rigorous scientific training in biotechnology with graduate course work and experience in business management and regulatory affairs. The program includes the foundation courses for the dual degree program, a set of graduate level core courses in both biotechnology and business, and several elective courses.
Our approach includes team projects drawn from biotechnology industries to focus on real-world problems and applications of biological sciences and business. We approach interpersonal skills and problem-solving skills from multiple perspectives.
- Applicants must have a BA/BS. Degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Business/ Economics related discipline. Alternatively, applicants with a BA/BS degree in any field and equivalent work experiences in one of the above fields may be admitted and must fulfill the foundation course requirements before taking the core courses and electives in the degree program.
- Applicants seeking admission to the dual degree program must be officially accepted into CI as graduate students.
- Applicants must declare themselves as graduate students in the dual degree program.
- Applicants will be evaluated by the Program Admissions Committee which will consider the applicants in the context of the total applicant pool using our general admission standards, including all academic work, GPA, test scores, relevant work experience and other factors that may have a bearing on the individual’s potential for success. The following materials are required for our evaluation and admission process:
- Applicants must submit their transcript(s) from their undergraduate institution(s) and Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) General Test scores.
- Applicants who have received their undergraduate degrees from a university where English is not the language of instruction, or have studied fewer than two years at a university where instruction is in English, must submit their Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores.
- Applicants must submit a one page “Statement of Purpose” and two letters of recommendations from people able to judge the applicant’s capacity for both academic and professional success.
Required Foundation Courses - 16 units
1. Required Foundation Courses in Biology and Chemistry for Students without a B.S. in Biology or Chemistry 16 units
2. Required Foundation Courses in Business/Economics for Students without a B.A./B.S. in Business or Economics or a Related Discipline - 16 units
Common Required Courses in the Dual Degree Program - 9 units
Required Courses in the Master of Science in Biotechnology - 23 units
1. Required Core Courses - 16 units
2. Elective Courses - 7 units
A minimum of 7 units from the elective courses in MS Biotechnology and Bioinformatics program.
Required Courses in the Master of Business Administration - 24 units
1. Required Core Courses - 18 units
2. Elective Courses - 6 units
Graduate Writing Assessment Requirement
Writing proficiency prior to the awarding of the degree is demonstrated by successful completion of BINF 500 for MS/MBA Dual Degree with a grade of B or higher.