Summary of Units:
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Art
Art majors are required to select an emphasis of study in Art Studio or Art History. Students selecting the emphasis in Art History may, if they wish, additionally choose the Digital Art History Option or the Enhanced Studio Option.
Art History Emphasis: Lower Division Requirements - 24 units
The Art: Art History Emphasis requires a minimum of twenty-four (24) units of lower-division coursework. Eighteen (18) of these units are required; the remaining six (6) units may come from a combination of Art Program offerings and courses taken outside the program, as described below.
Lower Division Required Courses - 18 units
Lower Division Elective Courses - 6 units
Complete two from the following:
- Lower-division (100- or 200-) Art Program courses not taken above
- No more than two of the following lower-division language courses: ARAB 101 , ARAB 102 , ASL 101 , ASL 102 , CHIN 101 , CHIN 102 ,FREN 101 , FREN 102 , SPAN 101 , SPAN 102 ,SPAN 201 ,SPAN 202 , SPAN 211 , SPAN 212 . Students who have completed a full year of college-level, lower-division study of a foreign language not offered at CI may petition for up to six (6) units of lower-division major credit.
- The following specific lower-division courses: BIOL 212 /PSY 212 , COMM 101 , COMM 211 /LIB 211 , COMM 225 , COMP 101 , COMP 102 , COMP 110 /LS 110 , ECS 101 , ECS 150 /PSY 150 , EDUC 101 , GEOL 121 , GLST 200 , LS 200 , PA 101 , PA 202 , PAMU 200 , PATH 281 , PSY 100 , UNIV 198 , UNIV 298
- Lower-division (100- or 200-) courses with the following prefixes: ANTH, ENGL, GEOG, HIST, SOC
You are encouraged to enroll in courses that will best support your individual educational goals. Consult with Academic Advising, with the Art Program chair or advisor, or with any of the Art History faculty for guidance and advice.
Courses from programs other than Art may have prerequisites; consult the course catalog and/or Academic Advising before enrolling in courses outside the Art Program.
Art History Emphasis: Upper Division Requirements - 33 units
The Art: Art History Emphasis requires a minimum of thirty-three (33) units of upper-division coursework. Three (3) units are provided by the required upper-division methods course. Eighteen (18) of these units must be taken from within those courses designated as art history and Upper Division General Education (UDGE) units. An additional three (3) units are provided by the capstone experience. The remaining nine (9) units may come from a combination of Art Program offerings and courses taken outside the program, as described below.
Upper-Division Methods Course - 3 units
To ensure preparation for upper-division coursework, you are urged to take ART 300 not later than your junior year (first year at CI for transfer students).
Art History and UDGE Art Courses - 18 units
You are encouraged to enroll in a variety of art history and UDGE courses addressing multiple time periods, artistic developments, and theoretical issues. Art Majors in the Art History emphasis may also focus on a particular area of interest.
Complete at least one and no more than three courses from each of the following groups (18 units):
Note: The special topics course ART 480 - Advanced Issues in Art History, Theory and Criticism, may be substituted for a course in one of the areas below depending on topic and subject to approval of the Art Program chair.
Group I: Critical and Professional Perspectives
Group II: Art before 1800
Group III: Art after 1800
Capstone - 3 units
The Art: Art History Emphasis requires a capstone experience. In order to make the most of this integrative learning experience, you are urged to take Capstone in one of your final semesters.
Upper Division Elective Courses - 9 units
Complete the remaining units in the major from the following courses:
- Upper-division art history and UDGE courses not taken above.
- Upper-division art studio courses for which you have satisfied the prerequisites (typically, the 300- and 400-level successors to the 200-level course taken as part of lower division coursework).
- The following upper-division Art Program electives: ART 360 , ART 471 , ART 480 , ART 489 , ART 490 , ART 492 , ART 494 . Note that enrollment in ART 492 and ART 494 is subject to instructor approval.
- No more than two of the following upper-division language courses: CHS 315 , SPAN 301 , SPAN 302 , SPAN 304 , SPAN 320 , SPAN 450 . Students who have completed a full year of college-level, upper-division study of a foreign language not offered at CI may petition for up to six (6) units of upper-division major credit.
- No more than two additional upper-division courses taken outside of the Art Program. These courses should be chosen in consultation with Art History faculty and must be approved by the Art Program chair or advisor.