Summary of Units:
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Art
Art majors are required to select an emphasis of study in Art Studio or Art History. Students wishing to build a stronger studio art foundation should select the Enhanced Studio Option. The Option is 15 units within the major, 6 lower-division and 9 upper-division.
Art History Emphasis, Enhanced Studio Option: Lower Division Requirements - 24 units
The Art: Art History Emphasis, Enhanced Studio Option requires a minimum of twenty-four (24) units of lower-division coursework. Eighteen (18) of these units are required; the remaining six (6) units are drawn from lower-division art studio offerings.
Lower Division Required Courses - 18 units
Lower Division Elective Courses - 6 units
Complete two from the following courses (if not taken above):
- ART 105 , ART 106 , ART 107 , ART 201 , ART 202 , ART 203 , ART 204 , ART 205 , ART 206 , ART 207 , ART 209 , ART 211 , ART 212
As you select your lower-division art studio courses, be sure to choose the ones that serve as prerequisites for the upper-division courses you wish to take. Consult with Academic Advising or the Art Program chair or advisor for specific guidance.
Art History Emphasis, Enhanced Studio Option: Upper Division Requirements - 33 units
The Art: Art History Emphasis, Enhanced Studio Option requires a minimum of thirty-three (33) units of upper-division coursework. Three (3) units are provided by the required upper-division methods course. Eighteen (18) of these units must be taken from within those courses designated as art history and Upper Division Genereal Education (UDGE) units. An additional three (3) units are provided by the capstone experience. The remaining nine (9) units come from upper-division Art Program offerings, as described below.
Upper-Division Methods Course - 3 units
To ensure preparation for upper-division coursework, you are urged to take ART 300 not later than your junior year (first year at CI for transfer students).
Art History and UDGE Art Courses - 18 units
You are encouraged to enroll in a variety of art history and UDGE courses addressing multiple time periods, artistic developments, and theoretical issues. Art Majors in the Art History emphasis may also focus on a particular area of interest.
Complete at least one and no more than three courses from each of the following groups (18 units):
Note: the special topics course ART 480 - Advanced Issues in Art History, Theory and Criticism may be substituted for a course in one of the areas below depending on topic and subject to approval of the Art Program chair.
Group I: Critical and Professional Perspectives
Group II: Art before 1800
Group III: Art after 1800
Capstone - 3 units
The Art: Art History Emphasis requires a capstone experience. In order to make the most of this integrative learning experience, you are urged to take Capstone in one of your final two semesters.
Upper Division Elective Courses - 9 units
Complete at least two from the following:
- ART 310 , ART 311 , ART 312 , ART 313 , ART 314 , ART 315 ,ART 316 , ART 317 , ART 318 , ART 320 , ART 321 , ART 322 , ART 323 , ART 324 , ART 325 , ART 326 , ART 327 , ART 328 , ART 329 ART 380 , ART 382 , ART 384 , ART 385 , ART 386 , ART 387 , ART 388 , ART 389 , ART 390 , ART 391 , ART 392 , ART 420 ,ART 421 , ART 422 , ART 423 ,ART 464 , ART 466 , ART 471 , ART 489 , ART 490 , ART 491 , ART 494 (with studio faculty). Note that additional prerequisites may apply.
Complete no more than one from the following:
- Upper-division art history and UDGE courses not taken above.
- The following upper-division Art Program electives: ART 360 , ART 480 , ART 492 , ART 494 (with art history faculty). Note that enrollment in ART 492 and ART 494 is subject to instructor approval.
Additional General Education and other Graduation Requirements
To graduate, students must complete 120 units minimum (40 units must be upper division), including the following General Education (GE) and Graduation Requirements:
- Additional lower division GE Area A-E requirements not met within the major
- American Institutions Requirement
- Language Requirement (C- or better grade)
- Multicultural Perspectives (MP) Mission Pillar Requirement
- Nine units of Upper Division General Education (UDGE) courses, one each in Areas UDGE-B, UDGE-C, and UDGE-D
- Free electives as needed to meet minimum units for graduation