Jul 04, 2022
2018-2019 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Art, B.A. Art Studio Emphasis - 120 units
Summary of Units:
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Art
Art majors are required to select an emphasis of study in Art Studio or Art History.
Lower Division Art Studio Requirements - 24 units
Complete a minimum of 24 units of lower division Art courses in preparation for upper division studies.
Art Studio Foundation - 12 units
Lower Division Art Studio Electives - 6 units
In selecting lower division studio elective courses (100 and 200 level), students are encouraged to enroll in courses that satisfy prerequisites for upper division study in specific areas. Transfer students may substitute CSU transferable lower division studio art, graphic design and multimedia courses subject to the approval of the CI art program.
Upper Division Art Studio Requirements - 33 units
Students are encouraged to pursue an integrated approach in the exploration of media and artistic processes.
Intermediate Studio Courses - minimum 6 units:
Advanced Studio & Advanced Artistic Problems Courses - 15 units:
Advanced Studio Courses:
Upon completion of prerequisites, select additional studio art courses from at least two areas of study. Assignments focus on the development of artistic concepts and theories, visual continuity and increased competency in media and applied techniques that result in the creation of individual art projects (three-unit courses require six hours activity per week, repeatable one time for additional credit).
Advanced Artistic Problems Courses:
Advanced artistic problems courses provide students with the opportunity to continue in-depth investigations working in selected media, leading to the development of sound artistic concepts and proficiency in advanced artistic processes. Continued exploration into the integration of media and technologies lead students to the development of a congruent body of work. Creation and presentation of a professional portfolio is a required component of the course work (three-unit courses require six hours studio/lab activity per week, repeatable one time for additional credit).
Art History & Upper Division General Education (UDGE) Art Courses - 6 units
Upper division Art History courses focus on the History of Art and Art Theory. UDGE Art courses integrate academic study of Art with related content from other disciplines. Art majors in the Studio Art emphasis are required to complete a minimum of 6 units of Art History and UDGE Art Courses.
Complete one from the following:
Complete a minimum of three units from the following:
- ART 330 - Critical Thinking in a Visual World Units: 3
- ART 331 - Art, Society, and Mass Media (Cross-listed as COMM 331) Units: 3
- ART 332 - Multicultural Art Movements Units: 3
- ART 333 - History of Southern California Chicana/o Art (Cross-listed as HIST 333, CHS 333) Units: 3
- ART 334 - The Business of Art (Cross-listed as BUS 334) Units: 3
- ART 337 - Art on Film and Film as Art Units: 3
- ART 338 - Psychology of Art and Artists (Cross-listed as PSY 338) Units: 3
- ART 341 - Goddesses and Heroes: Art of the Ancient World Units: 3
- ART 343 - Power and Glory: Medieval Art Units: 3
- ART 344 - Global Arts of Islam Units: 3
- ART 351 - The Baroque Eye: Art, Culture, Money, and Power Units: 3
- ART 360 - Digital Art History Units: 3
- ART 433 - Women, Art, and Society Units: 3
- ART 434 - The Museum: Culture, Business, and Education (Cross-listed as BUS 434, EDUC 434) Units: 3
- ART 435 - Postmodern Visual Culture Units: 3 (if not completed above)
- ART 436 - Modern Art Units: 3 (if not completed above)
- ART 451 - Diversity in the Visual Arts Units: 3
- ART 480 - Advanced Issues In Art History, Theory And Criticism Units: 1 - 3
Professional Preparation Courses - 6 units
Upper division Professional Preparation courses provide students with an understanding of current issues in the arts, application of specialized studio work, field activities and service learning.
Optional Upper Division Art Electives:
Upper Division Art elective courses may fulfill up to 6 units of upper division Art Studio or Art History requirements. Portfolio review and consent of instructor required.
Additional General Education and other Graduation Requirements
To graduate, students must complete 120 units minimum (40 units must be upper division), including the following General Education (GE) and Graduation Requirements :
- Additional lower division GE Area A-E requirements not met within the major
- American Institutions Requirement
- Language Requirement (C- or better grade)
- Multicultural Perspectives (MP) Mission Pillar Requirement
- Nine units of Upper Division General Education (UDGE) courses, one each in Areas UDGE-B, UDGE-C, and UDGE-D
- Free electives as needed to meet minimum units for graduation