The Performing Arts Program at California State University Channel Islands offers a broad, integrated undergraduate experience in music and theatre. The Performing Arts core provides the base necessary for building an educational and professional career in the performing arts.
Core courses offer experience in each of the two major areas of the performing arts–Music and Theatre–with special attention to current and future trends.
Students also choose an emphasis to follow through one of the following areas:
- The Music Emphasis (PAMU)
- The Theatre Emphasis (PATH)
The Performing Arts degree program stresses interdisciplinarity and the multicultural, global perspectives that are the hallmarks of CI. In addition to gaining expertise and experience in their chosen fields of Music or Theater, students will gain interdisciplinary experience in the performing arts, with education and experience in the intersections between the fields.
The Performing Arts major will prepare students for further study and for entry into the performing arts professions.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students graduating from the Performing Arts program will be able to:
- Perform in one or more of the Performing Arts emphases of music, and theatre;
- Demonstrate critical thinking through analysis, interpretation, and evaluation of written, visual, and audio texts in an interdisciplinary context;
- Understand and appreciate the roles of the performing arts in contemporary as well as historical cultures and societies.
- Work collaboratively with people from a diverse range of artistic and cultural backgrounds;
- Express themselves effectively in written, physical, and spoken forms in response to a variety of personal, local, global, and historical events; and
- Apply multiple theoretical perspectives to their own
Catherine Scott Burriss, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Performing Arts
Bell Tower East, Room 2760
KuanFen Liu, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Performing Arts, Music
Sage Hall, Room 2051
Paul Murphy, D.M.A.
Assistant Professor of Music
Madera Hall, Room 2367
ProgramsMajor(s)Major(s) - AA/AS-T (Transfer Model Curriculum) Degrees OnlyMinor(s)Certificate(s)