Aug 18, 2018
Summary of Units:
Requirements for the Major in Spanish - 41 units
A minimum grade of C- will be required in all courses applied to the Spanish major.
Spanish majors will have completed the equivalent of first year college level Spanish in high school, at a community college, or by completing SPAN 101 and SPAN 102 at CI, prior to beginning the Spanish major.
Lower Division Requirements - 8 units
Students must take eight units of second-year Spanish courses.
Students who enter the Spanish program with advanced knowledge of the language can satisfy the eight-unit lower-division requirement through Advanced Placement (AP) Exam or College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) credit. For more information on this option, see the Spanish Program Advisor or the following webpage: http://www.csuci.edu/academics/advising/articulation.htm
Upper Division Requirements - 33 units
All Spanish majors must complete at least 12 units of 400 - level courses with a SPAN prefix.
Core - 21 units
All students must take courses as listed from each of the following categories.
Select one 400-level literature course:
Capstone - 3 units
Select one of the following:
Choose from the following:
* Students may choose as electives courses found in the Core, provided the 21-unit core is completed.
One of the following courses may also be chosen as an elective for the Spanish major:
Additional General Education & other Graduation Requirements -79 units
To graduate, students must complete 120 units minimum (40 units must be upper division) including all General Education (GE) and Graduation Requirements . The following areas must be included:
- Additional Lower Division A-E (GE) Requirements not met within the major
- Nine units of Upper Division Interdisciplinary GE (UDIGE), courses are numbered 330-349 and 430-449. Six units may be within the major, 3 units must be outside the major (C or better grade)
- Multicultural Requirement (C or better grade)
- Language Requirement (C or better grade)
- American Institutions Requirement
- Free electives as needed to meet minimum units for graduation